The fourth awards ceremony for the Metropolis Awards was held on 25 November last at the gala dinner hosted by the President of Metropolis, Jean-Paul Huchon, within the...
On 8 October last, the Metropolis Board of Directors approved the composition of the jury that is to assess the entries for the 4thedition of the Metropolis Award; an edition that...
On the 30th July, the deadline for the 2011 Metropolis Award's nominations ended. The participation was a huge success. 27 cities have taken part presenting a total of...
The deadline to submit project entries for Metropolis Awards has been extended until July 30th, 2010, so that all the cities have more time to participate in this 4th edition of...
Metropolis Awards 2008
For its contribution to peaceful co-existence in the city, enhancement of equality of opportunity and gender perspective. More info here
For its contribution to protection of urban historical heritage amidst elevated levels of economic development. More info here
For its contribution to the increase of the offer of legal land and the valorisation of the environmental and cultural patrimony of this area, as well as the involvement and the administration of the new spaces by its users. More info here
For its contribution to improvement in urban standards in city periphery. More info here
The prize jury, made up of Mrs. Yannick Rabemanantsoa (Antananarivo), Mr. Jean-Felix Bernard (Ile-de-France), Mrs. Rita Rachele Dandavino (Montréal), Luiz Pedretti (Sao Paulo) and Chris Johnson (Sydney) met in Sao Paulo on the 5th of April 2008 to select the winning projects. The Jury members have analysed the following projects:
1. BELO HORIZONTE: Programa Vila Viva- Aglomerado da Serra
3. BELO HORIZONTE: Mejora de movilidad para habitantes de vilas y favelas de Belo Horizonte
4. BERLIN: District Mothers in Neukölln
5. ESTADO DE MEXICO: Ciudad Jardín Bicentenario
6. GUADALAJARA: Villa Panamericana, Proyecto Conceptual Arquitectónico
7. GUANGZHOU: Xin Hepu Historic District Conservation Plan
8. GUANGZHOU: Xingfeng Municipal Solid Waste Sanitary Landfill
9. LA PAZ: Programa Barrios de Verdad
10. MASHHAD: Establishing the Sewage System of Mashhad
11. PORTO ALEGRE: Vila dos Papeleiros, Santa Terezinha
14. QUITO: Proyecto de Recuperación del Río Machángara
15. SEOUL: e-Government
17. SYDNEY: Six Regional Cities- City Centre Plans
18. TURIN: Sustainable Mobility: Star Lines
19. TURIN: Motore di Ricerca: Comunita Attiva
20. TURIN: LOCARE
In reviewing the submissions, the Jury considered the following criteria:
- Social Impact
- Urban Impact
- Partners Involved
- Economic Impact
- Technological Impact
Metropolis Awards 2005
1. BARCELONA: 22@ Barcelona
2. BELO HORIZONTE: Health Promotion Workshop (H.P.W.)
3. CORDOBA: Integral Plan of Local Job Promotion
4. JOHANNESBURG: 100 Spots
7. LONDON: London Congestion Charge
8. MASHHAD: Chehel Boostam Park
9. MELBOURNE: The Pride of Place Program
10. SANTIAGO DE CHILE: Capital Security
Metropolis Awards 2002
1. BARCELONA: Entrepreneurs Attention Service
2. BARCELONA: Metropolitan Municipal Waste Management Programme
3. BELO HORIZONTE: Environmental Correction Program and Recycling with Cart-Drivers
4. ESFAHAN: The Nazhvan Suburban Nature Park
7. ISTANBUL: Sheltering the Streets Project
8. ISTANBUL: Social Mission of Youth Project
9. ISTANBUL: The Action Emergency Help Project
11. MASHHAD: Composet Organic Fertilizers Factory
12. MASHHAD: Separation or Recycling of Dry Waste
13. MASHHAD: The Great National Project Urban Railway
14. MÉXICO: New International Airport
15. MONTREAL: City Community Gardens Programme
16. MONTREAL: Graffiti, Tags and Illegal Posting Strategic Plan
17. MONTREAL: Children Party
18. MONTREAL: Mosaïculutures Internationales 2000
19. MONTREAL: Old Montréal Website and its Heritage
20. MONTREAL: Mayor's Foundation for Youth
21. MONTREAL: The Network of the Maisons de la culture
How to apply?
The period for submitting projects entries for the 4th. Metropolis Award will run from 1 March to 30 June 2010.
- Montserrat Pallarès
- Metropolis Secretariat General
- c/Avinyó, 15
- 08002 Barcelona (Spain)
- Tel: 34 933 429 460
- Fax: 34 933 429 466
Who should apply?
Any member city responsible for the undertaking of an outstanding event, project or experience worthy of global recognition for its contribution to improving qualitiy of life for its city. For more information on the award, visit our website: www.metopolis.org.
Special consideration will be given to those events, projects or experiences focusing on one or more of the following themes: urbanism, environment, housing, public transport, security, economic, social and cultural development. Other activities influencing spheres of public interest will be also taken into account.
Three projects will receive the Metropolis Award. The city winning the first award will have free membership fees of Metropolis for one year.
Three Honourable Mentions will also be awarded.
Metropolis Award Ceremony
The Award will be given by the President of Metropolis to the winner during the 10th Congress of Metropolis in Porto Alegre.
The Jury designed by the Board of Directors of Metropolis will examine and discuss the entries and will select the winners.
Metropolis Awards 2010
Collaboration to shore up the fight against malaria in the district of Bamako
Candidates 2010 Metropolis Awards
These are the candidates of 2010 Metropolis Awards:
1. ADDIS ABABA: Urban Road Infrastructure
2. ADDIS ABABA: Development of Micro & Small Scale Enterprise
5. BELO HORIZONTE: Belo Horizonte Environmental Recovery Program (DRENURBS)
6. BERLIN: Neighborhood Council System
7. BUCHAREST: No Kids Without Rights
10. CÓRDOBA: Reassessment of the Central Area
11. CIUDAD DE MÉXICO: Underside of Bridges Recovery Project
12. DAKAR: "Réussir La Santé à Dakar" Health Project
14. DIYARBAKIR: Sümerpark New Life Center
16. LA PAZ: Real Neighborhoods Project
18. MASHHAD: Welcoming the Spring Season
19. MELBOURNE:Global Learning Village
20. PORTO ALEGRE: Vila Chocolatão
23. RIO DE JANEIRO: Schools of Tomorrow
24. RIO DE JANEIRO: Saúde Presente
25. SAO PAULO: 100 Parks Program
26. SEOUL: Women Friendly City Project
27. SEOUL: Youth Entrepreneurship 1000 Project
28. SHIRAZ: Shiraz, the Green City
29. SURABAYA: Urban Farming Project
30. SURABAYA: Prime Business Village Development
32. TAIPEI: Total Recycling and Zero Landfill
34. TEHRAN: Tehran BRT
35. TEHRAN:Tehran Public Bicycles
36. TIANJIN: Urbanisation Project, Huaming Model Town